It’s important to consider all the possible effects of abortion before making your choice for your unplanned pregnancy. We know it’s not easy to decide, and we are here to help you get clarity about your options. You are not alone.
Along with physical effects, there are many mental health effects due to abortion, including anxiety and depression. Learn all the facts about this pregnancy option available to you.
What exactly is mental health? The World Health Organization shares, “Mental health is a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.”
Our mental health can affect how we interact with others and live. It’s also tied to our overall physical health.
Effects of Abortion on Mental Health
A Psychotherapist, Vincent Rue, was one of the first to introduce the connection between mental health issues and abortion. His study, “Induced Abortion and Traumatic Stress,” shares that…
- 60% reported that they felt “part of me died” after their abortions
- 25% said they didn’t receive adequate counseling
- 64% said they felt pressured by others to abort
- 65% of U.S. women experienced multiple symptoms of PTSD (which they attributed to their abortions)
In the same study, medical researcher, Professor David Fergusson shares that ‘abortion was linked to higher rates of depression, anxiety, drug and alcohol abuse, and suicidal behaviors.’ He also shares that 42% of women experienced major depression after abortion, twice that of other women their age.
Though abortion seems like an easy fix to your unplanned pregnancy, there are real, long-term effects on your mental health after abortion, clearly seen from these studies.
We are here to inform you more about your pregnancy options as you navigate through your unplanned pregnancy. Making a pregnancy decision can be difficult for many women. You may have opinions coming at you from all directions. You may be considering abortion but still have questions.
Talk with our team today with a pre-termination consultation to get answers. At this appointment, you can expect:
- A urine pregnancy test and limited obstetrical ultrasound the same day or at a follow-up appointment.
- Assessment of your reproductive health and medical history.
- Recommendation of STD testing.
- Review of abortion information according to your state law.
- Medical personnel willing to listen and answer questions you may have.
- Respect for your pregnancy decision.
Schedule a free and confidential consultation today to learn more. We are here for you.