Considering traveling for an abortion? Before you do, consider these three things:
- Was your pregnancy medically confirmed?
- Have you discussed abortion with a professional?
- Do you know all your options?
Answering these three questions can help protect your health and safety and provide answers on what procedures and options are available to you. We are available to help answer these questions to ensure you are empowered with the knowledge to make the decisions that are right for you.
Why Should I Medically Confirm My Pregnancy?
Home pregnancy tests are useful and easily accessible; however, they leave room for error. Some reasons for this might be:
- User error
- Faulty Test
- Tested too soon
- Diluted urine
A lab quality test is a great first step in confirming your pregnancy. Next, an ultrasound can be used to determine factors that assist you in knowing your options and protect your health. Ultrasounds can help identify:
- Ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy that occurs outside the uterus and usually necessitates immediate medical intervention). If an ectopic pregnancy is present, not all abortion procedures are an option.
- Gestational age of the pregnancy. How far along the pregnancy is can determine what options are available.
- Viability of pregnancy. Sometimes pregnancies end in a miscarriage, and it typically isn’t caused by anything you did or didn’t do. The Mayo Clinic says, “Most miscarriages occur because the fetus isn’t developing as expected.”
Why Should I Speak With A Professional?
Did you know medications, medical history, and current health can play a role in what options are available to you? Speaking with a trusted provider or pregnancy center can ensure you take the appropriate steps to protect your health.
Sometimes medications must be altered or stopped before procedures, or some health history or current condition may make specific procedures risky. Only by sitting down to discuss these things will you know what to expect, the risks, and how your health may be impacted.
Do You Know All Your Options?
Make sure you know all your options and what resources are available to help you. If you would like to discuss what choices you have, contact us today.
We will be happy to sit down with you and provide you with a safe place to share your story and gain the care and support you deserve.
We also offer pregnancy testing and ultrasound to confirm your pregnancy medically. All appointments are complementary and confidential, and scheduling is flexible.
We invite you to take advantage of these services before traveling so you have all the facts and options available and make an informed decision that’s right for you.